Some experts say that Bitcoin and cryptocurrencies are just a scam; others say they're "the most important invention since the internet." It's hard to tell who's right.
Authored by Silicon Valley leaders from Google, Microsoft, and Facebook, Bubble or Revolution cuts through the hype to offer a balanced, comprehensive, and accessible analysis of blockchains and cryptocurrencies.
You'll learn the core concepts of Bitcoin and blockchain technologies to understand their strengths and weaknesses from real-world case studies; dive deep into their technical, economic, political, and legal complexities; and gain insights about their future from exclusive interviews with dozens of tech industry leaders.
Are blockchains and cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin a bubble or a revolution? We'll help you decide for yourself.
Bitcoin and the blockchain
- How Bitcoin and blockchains work from a technical perspective with no assumed technical knowledge
- Satoshi Nakamoto and the history of Bitcoin, the original blockchain
- A thorough overview of crucial crypto concepts (eg. blocks, keys, mining, nodes, etc.)
- Frameworks for understanding when it actually makes sense to use blockchain
- Major application scenarios for blockchain and cryptocurrencies and where it'll fall flat
Public blockchains and altcoins
- Emerging trends in blockchain technology
- What you should know before buying any cryptocurrency
- An overview of Etherum and smart contracts
- An overview of the strengths and weaknesses of the top altcoins and stable coins, including Monero (XMR), Tether (USDT), and Bitcoin Cash (BCH)
- Alternatives to blockchain and cryptocurrencies
- New kinds of decentralized ledger technology (DLT)
- The economics of both traditional payment methods and cryptocurrencies
- Cryptocurrency security best practices and major breach case studies
- How blockchain, cryptocurrencies, and traditional banking and finance will interact with one another in the future
- Public blockchains vs private blockchains
- Limitations and shortcomings of public blockchains and cryptocurrencies
- The role of blockchain in the strategy of top tech companies like Facebook and Microsoft
- Case studies of how non-tech companies are effectively utilizing blockchain (eg. Walmart using it to prevent foodborne illness)
- Business blockchain case studies ranging from gaming (e.g. Xbox) to cloud services (e.g. Microsoft Azure's blockchain-as-a-service and Amazon's AWS offering)
- Blockchain's use for big data, internet of things (IoT), and machine learning (ML)
Cryptocurrency regulation and policy
- ICOs vs STOs vs IPOs
- KYC and AML laws
- The debate over whether cryptocurrencies are securities
- The official stance of various countries on crypto
- An overview of crypto policy and regulatory hurdles
- The role of crypto in emerging markets and China
- Digital democracy and voting on the blockchain
The future of decentralized technology
- If, how, and when the tokenization of national currencies will play out
- Facebook and WhatsApp's upcoming cryptocurrencies
- Currency tokenization and China's efforts to tokenize the yuan
- Blockchain, IoT, and the tangle
- Cryptocurrencies vs. fiat vs. the gold standard
- Predictions about the future of money, business, and currency
- Why blockchains would do better on Mars than Earth
"Whether you are bearish or bullish on crypto, Bubble or Revolution brilliantly articulates both sides of the argument and offers well researched insight on the future of blockchain technology."
-- Mike Novogratz, Founder of Galaxy Investment Partners; Former Partner @ Goldman Sachs
"Bubble or Revolution is a must read for anyone interested in understanding both the immense potential AND profound obstacles associated with blockchain technology."
-- Mike Rowan, Chief Product Officer @TechStars
"A brilliant overview of what could be the next big thing in tech, authored by leaders at today's top tech companies."
-- Nir Eyal, Bestselling Author of Hooked and Indistractable
There are few technologies as divisive as blockchain. Expert opinions range from it being "a scam" to "most important invention since the internet." It's hard to tell who's right. Authored by 3 Product Managers from Google, Microsoft, and Facebook, Bubble or Revolution cuts through the hype and offers a balanced, accurate assessment and analysis of blockchain technology.
The book begins by demystifying the history of blockchain and how it works; dives into economic, political, and social challenges and opportunities around blockchain using an applied case study approach and featuring insights from exclusive interviews with nearly one hundred tech industry leaders.
Bubble or Revolution will enable you to thoroughly understand the blockchain ecosystem and knowledgeably make a decision for yourself on whether it is a bubble or a revolution.
Neel Mehta is a Product Manager at Google. Previously, he worked at Khan Academy and Microsoft and founded the Civic Digital Fellowship, the first fully-funded technology internship program in the federal government.
Aditya Agashe is a Program Manager at Microsoft. He is the founder of Belle Applications, a company that builds and optimizes software platforms for businesses.
Parth Detroja is a Product Manager at Facebook. He has previously worked at Microsoft, Amazon, and IBM.