1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray or wipe a glass loaf pan with oil and line with a strip of parchment paper, letting the paper overhang the sides of the dish.
2. In a food processor, combine 1 cup of the lentils, 1 cup of the cooked sweet potato, waxy potato, onion flakes, garlic, tomato paste, tamari, flax meal, balsamic, tahini, oregano, thyme, celery seed, and black pepper. Puree briefly until fairly well combined, but not completely smoothed out. Add the remaining cup of lentils, the oats, and the pumpkin seeds and pulse through a couple of times, scraping down the bowl as needed, until the mixture is fairly well combined but still has texture—take care not to overprocess. Remove the blade and use a spatula to mix through a little more by hand.
3. Transfer the mixture to the prepared loaf dish. Smooth out with a spatula to evenly distribute the loaf in the dish.
4. For toppings, use the additional sweet potato, mash it and spread it over the top sprinkled with pinches of salt and pepper. Or, you can use ketchup or barbecue sauce.
5. Cover the dish with aluminum foil. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for another 6–7 minutes until the topping is set. Remove from oven and let the loaf cool in the dish for 5–10 minutes. Slice and serve!
From veteran cookbook author Dreena Burton comes a collection of 100 dependable and delicious plant-based recipes that everyone will love.
Dreena Burton has been creating plant-based, whole-food recipes for more than 20 years. Home cooks know they can trust her recipes to turn out great—and to be delicious! Now, she has created this one-stop resource for making kinder, more compassionate food choices, for other beings, for the planet, and for yourself. Whether you need weekly staple meals for your family or want a dish to wow your friends for a special occasion, Dreena’s Kind Kitchen has you covered with these reliable, flavorful, and healthy recipes.
You’ll find a variety of breakfasts, salads and dressings, small bites, soups, entrées, and sweets, including:
• Lemon-Poppyseed Muffins
• Wow ’Em Waffles
• Potato-Cauliflower Scramble
• Chipotle Chickpea Fries
• White Bean and Corn Chowder
• Pressure Cooker Quicken Noodle Soup
• Truffle-Salted Nut Cheese
• Beyond Beet Burgers
• Fiesta Taco Filling
• Italian Ratatouille
• Holiday Dinner Torte
• 1-Minute Pasta Alfredo
• Crackle Blender Brownies
• Mango Carrot Cake
• Heavenly Baklava
Dreena also shares a cooking troubleshooting section so you can boost your kitchen skills. With helpful guidance on techniques, time-saving tips, and suggestions for repurposing leftovers into delicious new dishes, this dependable resource will boost your cooking confidence and help you find success in your own plant-powered kitchen.
“Once again, Dreena Burton proves that her cookbooks should be a staple in any plant-based home. The recipes in Dreena’s Kind Kitchen are replete with nutritious ingredients to fuel a healthy body.”
—T. Colin Campbell, PhD, coauthor of The China Study and the New York Times bestseller Whole
“ Dreena’s Kind Kitchen engages, embraces, and inspires every individual who steps into her extraordinary culinary world . . . Whether you are just beginning your plant-based journey or are a well-seasoned plant-based advocate, this book is destined to become a cherished kitchen companion.”
— Brenda Davis, RD, plant-based pioneer and author
“Enjoying a kind kitchen is easier (and more delicious!) than ever, thanks to Dreena Burton’s brilliant gem of a book. You’ll find mouth-wateringly delicious (and incredibly nutritious) recipes, and practical tips to help you implement and love your kind and healthy lifestyle.”
—Ocean Robbins, CEO of the Food Revolution Network and author of 31-Day Food Revolution
Dreena Burton is one of the pioneering vegan cookbook authors. Vegan for 25 years, Dreena is also a mom to three “weegans.” She has charted her journey as a plant-based cook and mother of three through five bestselling cookbooks. Dreena has also collaborated with renowned plant-based physician Dr. Barnard on The Cheese Trap and coauthored their most recent Cookbook for Reversing Diabetes. Dreena's recipes have been featured with groups including PCRM, Forks Over Knives, Blue Zones, and The Food Network. Dreena was also the Culinary Coordinator with The Food Revolution Network's Whole Life Club. Connect with Dreena’s online kitchen and community at dreenaburton.com.