1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 375 degrees.
2. In medium bowl, use rubber spatula to stir together flour, oats, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Drizzle melted butter over oat mixture and toss with fork or your fingers until mixture comes together.
3. In large bowl, use rubber spatula to stir together sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add apples to bowl with cornstarch mixture and toss to coat.
4. Use rubber spatula to scrape apple mixture into 8-inch square baking dish. Crumble oat topping into pea-size clumps and sprinkle oat topping evenly over apple mixture.
5. Place baking dish in oven. Bake until filling is bubbling around edges and topping is golden brown, about 40 minutes.
6. Use oven mitts to remove baking dish from oven (ask an adult for help). Place baking dish on cooling rack and let apple crisp cool on rack for at least 30 minutes before serving.
1. Toss oat mixture with fork or your fingers until mixture comes together.
2. Crumble oat topping into pea-size clumps and sprinkle evenly over apple mixture.
“This was very fun. We had learned about fractions in school, and now we are using math. And chocolate chips. Yummy!” – Morgan, 9
“Loved the quick and easy sauce. Delicious. Perfect crust.” – Helen, 12
“This would be a great snack to have when I get home from school!” – Victoria, 13
“The recipe was so good! I had a soccer game, so I made an extra batch for my soccer team. They loved it!” – Perrie, 9
A New York Times Bestseller!
From the creators of the #1 New York Times bestselling cookbook for kids comes the ultimate baking book. America's Test Kitchen once again brings their scientific know-how, rigorous testing, and hands-on learning to KIDS!
BAKING ISN'T JUST FOR CUPCAKES
Want to make your own soft pretzels? Or wow your friends with homemade empanadas? What about creating a showstopping pie? Maybe some chewy brownies after school? From breakfast to breads, from cookies to cakes (yes, even cupcakes!), learn to bake it all here. You can do this, and it's fun!
By empowering young chefs to make their own choices in the kitchen, America's Test Kitchen is building a new generation of confident cooks, engaged eaters, and curious experimenters.
The perfect book to give as a gift to kids this Christmas!
"A must-have book to keep your young adult cookbook section up-to-date and to support the current trend of creative young bakers. A contemporary and educational cookbook that's once again kid-tested and kid-approved." - School Library Journal
AMERICA'S TEST KITCHEN is the most authoritative resource for reliable, kitchen-tested recipes and cooking information. They value process, curiosity, practicality, and honesty. They believe everyone can learn to be a successful cook and their mission is to test recipes over and over until they understand how and why they work, and arrive at the best version.