This problem-based book reflects the authors' broad range of teaching, clinical, and policy-making experience. Ethical Problems in the Practice of Law's carefully crafted ethical problems challenge students to engage in a deep analysis and participate in lively class discussion.
New to the Fifth Edition:
- Comprehensive updates to reflect the many new developments in this fast-moving field. The authors carefully revised the entire text, adding six new problems and countless new case examples to illustrate the operation of "lawyer law."
- Expanded coverage of ethics issues for arbitrators and mediators.
- Expanded coverage of the ethical challenges and pitfalls faced by lawyers in light of advancing technology.
- Deeper discussion of issues of diversity and discrimination in the legal profession.
- Updated and enhanced materials on innovations and transformations in the legal profession and the regulation of lawyers in the United States and abroad, including innovation in financing law practice and litigation, and offshoring legal work.
- Additional material on continuing efforts to address the unmet need for legal services, including licensing of nonlawyers to provide limited legal services.
Professors and students will benefit from:
- Real-world problems, most based on actual cases, in which students are asked to step into the shoes of practicing lawyers to confront difficult ethical dilemmas that often arise in the early years of law practice.
- Problem-based approach, often based on real-life cases, offers students a practical way to test their understanding
- Problem method engages students and generates class discussion, because most problems present head-scratching dilemmas that students must puzzle through together
- Graphics (cartoons, tables, photos) throughout, which make the presentation lively and engaging
- Clear expositions of the law allow professors to devote the majority of class time to interactive discussion of the problems
- Transformation of a course from an often-boring upper-class requirement to a learning environment that is educationally rich, engaging and fun
- Shocking examples of recent lawyer misconduct maintain student interest
- A readable and enjoyable law school textbook